Comcast blocking port 25? (not what you think)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Mon May 10 09:46:02 EDT 2004

Mark Komarinski wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:47:42AM -0400, Travis Roy wrote:
>
>>This isn't about Comcast blocking port 25 to prevent you from running a
>>server..
>>
>>Recently my parents (that use Comcast) can no longer connect to port 25
>>of my server.. one that is legit, has correct reverse and MX records.
>>
>>Has anybody else seen this?
>>
>>Can anybody suggest a workaround.
>

> Might be a local thing.  I was able to hit scootz.net, port 25.
>
> I've had problems before with remote hosts not accepting connections from
> my machine because I'm in comcast's DHCP pool.  AOL and TWC caused big
> problems.  I got around the issue by smarthosting to smtp.comcast.net.
> You may want to have your parents try the same thing.

My parents use outlook and connect to my server. I allow the connection.
They don't run a server.

I just had another friend try to connect and he got thru also. Might be
a local thing. I had a friend that got his port 80 blocked (during that
big code red thing) and they never unblocked it on his segment. He
called and called but they refused to unblock it for him yet everybody
else was unblocked.