Comcast blocking port 25? (not what you think)

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon May 10 10:36:01 EDT 2004

On Monday, May 10th 2004 at 06:47 -0400, quoth Travis Roy:

=>This isn't about Comcast blocking port 25 to prevent you from running a
=>server..
=>
=>Recently my parents (that use Comcast) can no longer connect to port 25
=>of my server.. one that is legit, has correct reverse and MX records.
=>
=>Has anybody else seen this?
=>
=>Can anybody suggest a workaround.

This is no help for your problem, but I'll tell you what happened to me.

I'm in Framingham and I have a choice (currently) between RCN and comcast.

I'm with RCN but a while ago they shut off incoming port 80. Later on they
shut off outgoing port 25. For the princely sum of only $240/year, I get
the honor and priviledge of having those ports opened up. And I'm
guaranteed that my IP address won't change. Ever.

steveo at syslang.net