Comcast blocking port 25? (not what you think)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Mon May 10 10:53:00 EDT 2004

Steven W. Orr wrote:

> On Monday, May 10th 2004 at 06:47 -0400, quoth Travis Roy:
>
> =>This isn't about Comcast blocking port 25 to prevent you from running a
> =>server..
> =>
> =>Recently my parents (that use Comcast) can no longer connect to port 25
> =>of my server.. one that is legit, has correct reverse and MX records.
> =>
> =>Has anybody else seen this?
> =>
> =>Can anybody suggest a workaround.
>
> This is no help for your problem, but I'll tell you what happened to me.
>
> I'm in Framingham and I have a choice (currently) between RCN and comcast.
>
> I'm with RCN but a while ago they shut off incoming port 80. Later on they
> shut off outgoing port 25. For the princely sum of only $240/year, I get
> the honor and priviledge of having those ports opened up. And I'm
> guaranteed that my IP address won't change. Ever.

Yah, my parents won't go for that.. They're to far away for DSL too,
plus they get comcast TV/Phone/Net service for the bulk discount. They
(being just end users) of course see it as something on my end, even
after explaining it 20 times..

I just find it stupid that they would do something like this. It's one
thing to block port 80 since running a webserver is against the AUP/TOS,
but to block access to an outside mail server smells of crushing the
competition and limiting choice.