Comcast blocking port 25? (not what you think)

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon May 10 11:06:01 EDT 2004

On Monday, May 10th 2004 at 10:52 -0400, quoth Travis Roy:

=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>
=>I just find it stupid that they would do something like this. It's one
=>thing to block port 80 since running a webserver is against the AUP/TOS,
=>but to block access to an outside mail server smells of crushing the
=>competition and limiting choice.

It's actually worse than that. There are a number of domains that will not
accept any email from me if it's delivered directly to them. This is the
result of RBLs discriminating via dynamic IP address pools. The solution
is to add yet more and more entries into my mailertable file in sendmail.

I admit that I was certainly peeved when I was blocked from sending any
email to Red Hat lists. I needed

redhat.com      esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net

to fix it. :-(

You'd think that if anyone would allow reception from a dynamic address
they would.

steveo at syslang.net