Rob Lembree requests new leadership

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Tue May 18 13:23:08 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 12:34, Jon maddog Hall wrote:
> Bruce,
> > Do you mean every quarter? (Or has MelbaLUG become GNHLUG? :-)
> I thought I meant every month, not just the quarterly meetings.  Even though
> the LUG meets "every month" at Marthas, there are times that the upper room
> is booked, and you have to find another one.  Sometimes the room is
> "inappropriate" for the type or draw of speaker that we might have.

Ah. You *do* mean MelbaLUG. This seems to be a Nashua-area concern, not
a state-wide one.

CentraLUG and SLUG are still quite active - and operate independent of
GNHLUG. In fact, it appears CentraLUG is growing (each meeting seems to
get bigger)! I haven't heard from MonadLUG for a while. (I think their
meeting place got yanked.) And it appears that NNHLUG and Keene have
"fallen off the map".

> > Plus there's the expectation that someone other than the speaker and
> > coordinator should actually show some interest in the meetings, but I
> > digress.
> That is an issue, particularly when the speaker comes from far away, but any
> speaker should have a decent audience.  Again, not an automatic thing.
> Perhaps we need an "RSVP" mechanism, and when people do not RSVP six days
> before the event, we cancel it.

RSVPs would make sense for quarterlies or long-distance/big-name
speakers. I don't think it would be good for the monthlies. They need to
be more consistent.

> > But I won't be able to do it all the time, so don't count on it getting done.
> Since I do not come to a lot of the meetings, I hesitate to turn down your
> generous offer.  But I think that what the group needs is more consistency,
> not less.

I agree with you - my intent was to comfort people who are afraid GNHLUG
will dissolve. But not provide enough comfort that they can just forget
about it.

But, since you meant the Nashua area MelbaLUG, I must withdraw my
"offer" - Nashua is just too far for me to focus on consistently.

--Bruce
Shouldn't this level of discussion go on on the -org list?