The First Linux Distro?

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Fri Oct 1 10:37:00 EDT 2004

Whelan, Paul wrote:

>I may be misinformed but thought that Yggdrasil was the first real distribution.
>Because other sites had their own build of Linux available for download via ftp, such as University of Manchester, TAMU, Softlanding Linux System.  But wasn't Yggdrasil the first to
>distribute on CD?

"First on CD" is VERY different from "first".  To the best of my
knowledge, SLS was the first distribution, though I'd be willing to be
wrong.  As for first distributed on CD, I have no idea.  Slackware was
certainly one of the first, and by a fair bit the oldest (and the first
that I installed, downloading floppy after floppy).  Ah, the good ol'
days.  ;-)  I'm pretty sure that Yggdrasil was a year or so after
Slackware hit the scene.  Is there a distribution timeline somewhere?

-Ken