gnhlug-discuss digest, Vol 1 #1091 - 12 msgs

Drew dthompson at sensatronics.com
Fri Oct 1 13:09:00 EDT 2004

> My .02$ on the subject: My introduction to Linux (and X) was getting the
Slackware
> CD distribution loaded into a slow, old PC class in the summer of 1995...

Well, Slackware was definitely available in January 1994, and seemed like
it'd been around a bit...I remember installing it on my 486 (at great pain,
involving finding I had bad floppies in my stack of install floppies and
returning to the computer center in bitterly cold weather, uphill both ways,
and 100 feet of snow, etc.) to redownload the second utilities floppy.  :-P

Once I got it installed, I discovered that while there was a driver for my
video card, it kept the green gun on 100% at all times, and I eventually
gave up... until I got another PC.

--DTVZ