CVS, Mailman, and HTML

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 09:08:00 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 21:11 -0400, Paul Lussier wrote:
> In a message dated: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:58:27 EDT
> "Kenneth E. Lussier" said:
>

> > Has anyone ever archived html e-mail using Mailman??
>
> Sure, every mailing list out there that uses Mailman for the most part
> uses it's archive feature.  Though, I'm also sure you've noticed that
> these archives are horrendous for searching!

For our purposes, it actually isn't that bad. They are dated, the
subject contains the tree and branch that was changed (and part of the
commit comment), and the sender is the person that committed the change,
which is all that we need. The whole point of this is so that the
engineering team leads have a good history of what has been done, when
it was done, and who did it. Sorting by Subject, Date, or Author
accomplishes this.

> We use Mailman extensively for all our lists, but we archive them all to
> an IMAP mailbox.  For every mail list, we specifically shut off the
> Mailman archive option, but subscribe an alias of
> <listname>@lists.foo.com where 'lists.foo.com' is handled by the MTA
> which directs all mail of this form to be handled by cyrus rather than
> by Mailman (since they're both on the same box).

Well, this is a good idea, but I have some issues with it. First, it
requires a "group" account for access to the mailbox. Group accounts
lead to problems because people can delete the e-mails, they can move
them to a local folder, etc. I don't think that it is a matter of
malicious intent, but rather, normal behavior. You read an e-mail, you
either file it or delete it.

Not that this idea doesn't have merit. It was actually my original
course of action. My original plan was to have the cvs diffs sent to the
team leads and have them filtered into public folders. Unfortunately,
that was too much of a single point of failure. That's when the mailing
lists came into play. Everything works as it should, except this one
minor point. OK, so it isn't that minor, but I'm sure it can be fixed!

C-Ya,
Kenny