CVS, Mailman, and HTML

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 13:15:01 EDT 2004

In a message dated: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:36:13 EDT
Kevin D. Clark said:

>Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> It's a lot easier for people to search an IMAP box, and if they're
>> already using an IMAP mail client, there's no need for them to a)
>> subscribe to the list, they can just look in the IMAP folder, and b)
>> change clients to search the archives.
>
>Not that I don't think that there is a lot of merit to this idea, but:
>
>1:  Does your system prevent users from erasing stuff in the archives?
>    After all, they have access to the mailbox.

Yes, all users on the network have read-only access to lists.* on the
imap server.

>2:  How do people without IMAP accounts on the box search the
>    archives?  I realize the original poster probably doesn't have
>    this problem, but I'm talking about the general case.

Anyone without an IMAP account is, by definition, not an employee, and
therefore, not a concern.  However, it would be trivial to provide world
wide read-only access to an IMAP folder, then export directions on how
to configure an IMAP client to access this folder.