Migration from Windows to Linux

David Ecklein dave at diacad.com
Thu Oct 28 14:56:01 EDT 2004

Ed-

I understand your perspective. and share your appreciation for viewing
computer systems as just black boxes that help you get your work done.  And
maybe in spades, since I am a stereotypical grandpa, not an operating system
aficionado.

My perspective is somewhat different.  As a "winding-down" small business
activity (not fully retired yet from a computer career - mostly software -
extending as far back as the 1950s) I assemble and upgrade PC clones here in
Rumney NH.  I have no extensive personal interest in Windows or Linux at
this point, other than as part of a "black box" to do the few things I need
to do that can't be done with DOS (!).  Yes, all of my business records are
on a dos system, including taxes (in the years up until the last few where
TurboTax  is available only in a Windows version).  Dos is quite adequate
for all but a few things I need to do, such as burn CDs or go on the net.
If you don't need the GUI, internet, or multitasking (somewhat risky anyway
with most versions of Windows), why change to some high-cholesterol OS?
Frankly, I have been the beneficiary of the downhill progression, since most
of my business now consists in upgrades so computer users can run the latest
but not necessarily the greatest.  My internet is on Win98se, and I would
have moved it to Linux (currently have RH9 on another HD) in a heartbeat if
it wasn't so daunting.  Thanks to the feedback from you folks, I might just
now do it "when I get around to it".

That being said, I am otherwise affected.  In addition to bugs and security
flaws in Windows and associated problems posed by digital terrorism on the
internet (spyware, virii, intrusive hacking), much of my somewhat less
appealing business activity has been bailing people out of periodic messes,
with or without prophylactic software (which itself is a performance hit).
Sometimes I am successful, sometimes not, and I have to blow away their disk
and reload the system, whatever it is.  I have expressed the hope that Linux
might solve their problems.  The experience I have is limited to Red Hat
installs, and the progress from 5.1 to 7.2 to 9.0 has been dramatic.  A
generic distribution (perhaps a Debian variant) would eliminate the one most
costly item in putting together a clone (at least on the low end), an
obvious business advantage.  Before I would dare offer this, I will need
more support skills and tools.  Which is why I raised the migration
question.

I will load Linux on request for new systems.  Only once has this happened,
and that was RH7.2 for a physicist in MA some time ago.  One local business
client has expressed considerable interest in Linux servers to replace the
outrageously priced M$ Win2000 versions.  I can see this happening sometime
soon, even without migration occurring at the actual workstations.

Hope I haven't bored you all with my rambling "perspective".

Dave Ecklein
dba Diacad Associates
www.diacad.com