Network issues in Mandrake.

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Thu Oct 28 23:39:01 EDT 2004

Tom Buskey wrote:
> I just signed up for Verizon DSL and they sent me a Westell (sp?) 2200
> DSL modem.  This modem with do PPPoE internally and allow you to
> connect a PC to the modem with a DHCP address.
>
> You should be able to use the Mandrake tools to configure your network
> card for DHCP.  Failing that, you can muck around in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-.....
>
> btw - I'd recommend setting up the Dlink router & its firewall between
> your modem & computer.  Unless you're going to use your computer as a
> firewall of course :-)

I just did a bunch of Verizon DSL hookups at a client down in Rhode
Island with just this Westel 2200 modem. We just browsed to the modem &
switched them to be bridge not PPPoE (under the VC section). Then setup
the routers to do PPPoE, filled in the username and password which we
got by calling Verizon. Worked fine. Eliminated any need to try to use
the Verizon software - which I've had really bad experiences with.
Allowed us to directly access the router.

The routers are Linux boxes, of course. (As well as file & print server,
etc.)

To browse to the modem, you *must* use Internet Explorer. They do some
IE-specific stuff. The modem appeared as 192.168.0.1, IIRC. (The
other guy did that setup. I did the Linux boxes.)

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951