Speakeasy DSL

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Sep 2 13:38:02 EDT 2004

Drew wrote:
> Someone suggested SpeakEasy was an iffy DSL source... I've had SpeakEasy for
> several years at four different locations now, and the only complaint I have
> is on price.

I'm going to jump in and whole heartedly agree with you.

I've had Speakeasy DSL since Flushcom - err... Flashcom went under.

Speakeasy has been more stable than most T1's I've worked with and their
tech support knows what they are talking about. (...As opposed to
Flashcom's support, who's second tier didn't know the difference between
SNMP and SMTP...)

I run all kinds of servers, and, for a while, was even maxing out my
upload bandwidth due to a very populae web site I used to host.  They
didn't mind.  I've had one abuse complaint when a server I colo got
broken into, and they were good about providing log excerpts.

I'm paying through the nose for my line, but with the reliability,
$300/mo with 8 IP's for 1.1MB SDSL is still better than a T1.

> Verizon will be cheaper for the speed, but their TOS specifically forbade
> running servers last time I checked.

Yup.  And their sales people don't even know what a static IP is.

>  Also, Speakeasy is perfectly happy to
> hear that you use Linux, they're comfortable with it, and don't require you
> have a Windows machine to install any software on.  During debug on the
> occasion I was experiencing intermittent disconnects, the tech support guy
> even knew ifconfig and other *nix utilities...turns out the upstream
> junction box on our line had a cracked seal and was half-full of water.

Yup.  I've been very happy with their techs.  They don't even blink when
I tell them I'm running Linux.  They *did* blink when I told them how I
configured my router, though. To quote, "You can *DO* that?" (I have a
really funky setup combining NAT and static IP's that uses the best of
both worlds and maximizes the use of the IP's I have, so in effect I can
have my 8 IP's (7 usable!) and the rest of my network NAT'd without the
need for a second router...)

Brian

|   brian at datasquire.net            http://www.hirebrian.net  |
|                Simply the Best IT/MIS Manager               |
|          Self-taught, Fast Learner, and Team Player         |
|            Ready to Start TODAY at Your Company.            |