Speakeasy DSL

David Roberts droberts at mc.com
Thu Sep 2 14:03:01 EDT 2004

Drew wrote:

>Someone suggested SpeakEasy was an iffy DSL source... I've had SpeakEasy for
>several years at four different locations now, and the only complaint I have
>is on price.  Where I am now, 1.5Mbps/768Kbps is $80/month (with 8 static
>IP's and NO service restrictions) and I'm told for $100/mo I can get
>6Mbps/768Kbps service.

I too wish the price was a little lower, but I have been with them
for over 5 years now due to the fact I get multiple static IP's, no
server bans, free access to their knowledge base, and they don't
have any Non-Windows limitations (expressed or implied ;)

>Verizon will be cheaper for the speed, but their TOS specifically forbade
>running servers last time I checked.  Also, Speakeasy is perfectly happy to
>hear that you use Linux, they're comfortable with it, and don't require you
>have a Windows machine to install any software on.  During debug on the
>occasion I was experiencing intermittent disconnects, the tech support guy
>even knew ifconfig and other *nix utilities...turns out the upstream
>junction box on our line had a cracked seal and was half-full of water.

yup - a co-worker of mine *was* using verizon - until they closed
off some more ports on his residential service last week causing
his mail server to die - a little speakeasy hype on my part and he
swapped that same day (and says it has doubled his bandwidth, for
less money).

I agree with your take on speakeasy - they have no fear of allowing
servers and love Linux (the tech support people I remember speaking
to were Linux users themselves, answering any question I posed).

The only problem I've had was the initial install.  Verizon came out
to the house and ran two new lines (don't ask me why), Covad did the
interior install, and on rainy days the line would drop out.  Covad
came back out after I complained to speakeasy and found where Verizon
had botched their end of the job and fixed it.  BUT the *really good*
part of the whole story was the fact that until the problem was fixed
Speakeasy did not charge me the monthly fee - even though the line
was fine on good days (probably 90-95% of the time)...

>Just my $0.02....
>

>--Drew Thompson Van Zandt

"Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste."
   -- As seen on the 'net --