CD Burning with 2.6

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 09:44:01 EDT 2004

All,

I have been having some trouble with CD burning. I upgraded to the 2.6
kernel hoping that that would fix the problem, but alas, it has only
gotten worse. When I boot my system, everything works fine. I can do a
cdrecord -scanbus and my cd burner shows up on 0,0,0. I can even burn 1
CD. The problem is that either while or just after fixating the disk,
something goes horribly, horribly wrong.... The CD burner appears to
disappear, and I have to reboot to get it back. Has anyone else seen
anything like this? I have added the output from cdrecord, syslog, and
dmesg below.

TIA,
Kenny

Average write speed   7.8x.
Min drive buffer fill was 99%
Fixating...
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl

and in syslog I get:
Sep  7 09:28:18 Metatron kernel: sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there
is a disc in the drive.
Sep  7 09:28:49 Metatron last message repeated 62 times
Sep  7 09:29:50 Metatron last message repeated 122 times
Sep  7 09:30:40 Metatron last message repeated 101 times
Sep  7 09:31:19 Metatron kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
Sep  7 09:31:19 Metatron kernel: ide-scsi: No active request in
idescsi_eh_reset
Sep  7 09:31:19 Metatron kernel: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after
error recovery: host 0 channel 0 id 8 lun 0
Sep  7 09:31:19 Metatron kernel: SCSI error: host 0 id 8 lun 0 return
code = 6000000
Sep  7 09:31:19 Metatron kernel: ^ISense class 0, sense error 0,
extended sense 0

and in dmesg:
sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
hdc: lost interrupt

--
Kenneth E. Lussier <klussier at comcast.net>