VPN Server/Client

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 08:50:01 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 14:47 -0400, Thomas Charron wrote:
>   What is the best software / setup to use?  I've ben looking at
> PPTPd, FreeS/WAN, etc..  What has, in peoples experience, been the
> most succesfull?  I know from the Linux <-> Linux side, everything
> should be kosher, but I also need, just as importantly, to VPN from an
> XP and Win2k box, and possibly a NetBSD environment.
>
>   Comments?  Suggestions?

I would suggest setting up either FreeS/WAN or OpenSWAN (a fork of the
FreeS/WAN project). The Linux <-> Linux side will be easy to set up, and
it will work with the Windoze 2K/XP IPSec client pretty seamlessly. You
will, however, want to make sure that you do not use AH since you plan
to have a NAT'd firewall. Stick to ESP.

PPTPd (PoPToP) is easier to set up, but 1) you will need to patch the
source if you want encryption (and it's only mppe excryption) and MS
Chapv2 support. Also, the Linux client is pretty flakey.

C-Ya,
Kenny

--
Kenneth E. Lussier <klussier at comcast.net>