IRC anyone?

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Fri Sep 24 11:29:01 EDT 2004

All: I already have GAIM for "chatting" with clients using AOL, Yahoo
and Jabber. I'm not inclined to use something other than GAIM that will
chew up additional screen real estate. (GAIM does appear to support IRC
though).

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 10:18, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:06:24AM -0400, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 09:56, Paul Lussier wrote:
> > > Anyone interested in an open GNHLUG IRC channel?
> > > I was thinking of starting one on freenode.  If anyone is interested,
> > > I'll start the channel and y'all can just show up to #gnhlug :)
> > OK. I'll bite. How does one do this using GAIM?
> I don't have a copy of Gaim handy, but I'll do what I can to remember:

Thanks! Anything will help.

> Create a new account (Accounts menu option, new)
> Select "IRC" as protocol
> Server name is irc.freenode.net
> Select a nick (Most people use some variation on their name)
> If it asks for a port, use 6667

My GAIM (v0.81) wants a "Screen name" and a Password! Does this mean I
have to have a freenode account? (Fortunately, it is defaulting to
irc.freenode.net).

> Once you've set up the account, click the "Login" checkbox (I think) and
> then look for a "join Chatroom" option, join #gnhlug.

Are you talking about setting up the account in GAIM or at freenode?

> Like I said, no copy of Gaim handy - I use Pork for AIM and irssi for
> IRC, so I might have missed something.

I suspect GAIM has changed a bit since you last used it, but if you (or
someone) can tell me if I need a freenode account to use IRC, it would
help. GAIM is currently behaving as if I do.

Thank for your help.

--Bruce