IRC anyone?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Sep 24 11:34:07 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 11:28:28AM -0400, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> > Create a new account (Accounts menu option, new)
> > Select "IRC" as protocol
> > Server name is irc.freenode.net
> > Select a nick (Most people use some variation on their name)
> > If it asks for a port, use 6667
>
> My GAIM (v0.81) wants a "Screen name" and a Password! Does this mean I
> have to have a freenode account? (Fortunately, it is defaulting to
> irc.freenode.net).

Screenname would be the "nick" that I described.
Password is completely optional - IRC does not require any preregistration.
I'm not sure what Gaim does with this exactly - some IRC servers are private,
and some (like freenode) have a nick authentication server that you can use,
which Gaim may hook into. However, the password is, I repeat, optional.

> > Once you've set up the account, click the "Login" checkbox (I think) and
> > then look for a "join Chatroom" option, join #gnhlug.
>
> Are you talking about setting up the account in GAIM or at freenode?

This will be in Gaim. I believe once you've connected to the server,
you use the "Join chat" button in the normal Gaim buddy list window.

> > Like I said, no copy of Gaim handy - I use Pork for AIM and irssi for
> > IRC, so I might have missed something.
>
> I suspect GAIM has changed a bit since you last used it, but if you (or
> someone) can tell me if I need a freenode account to use IRC, it would
> help. GAIM is currently behaving as if I do.

Try just ignoring the password, see where that gets you.

--
Christopher Schmidt
crschmidt at crschmidt.net