BitTorrent and Comcast?

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Sep 29 11:08:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 10:53:12AM -0400, Hewitt Tech wrote:
> I guess what puzzles me is that spam is almost always used on behalf of
> someone who is trying to get customers. It's those companies that should get
> burned. If spam is tracked back to them, and I don't see why it's
> particularly hard since they always put contact information in their
> messages, then it probably isn't that difficult to prove that millions of
> emails have been generated relating directly to them. They should then pay a
> price (loss of bandwidth, bogus products, whatever). In other words, don't
> go after the spammer, go after the companies that hire them.

And usually those companies have a web site, hosted by a firm with an
AUP that states they can't use the website for SPAM or SPAM related
activies, or be refferred to by SPAM.

When I find them (I get almost no spam at all these days), I sometimes
follow the trail back to the original company's website, track down the
hosting company, and send the spam with an explanation that the company
is violating the AUP to abuse@<isp/hosting compay>.

I have no idea if they ever do anything about it.

--
Linux/Open Source.  Now all your base belongs to you, for free.