Need help with PHP

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Apr 7 00:33:02 EDT 2005

On Tuesday, Apr 5th 2005 at 10:59 -0400, quoth Christopher Schmidt:

=>On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 10:50:34AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> I got hold of Wordpress (as recommended here) and I'm having problems
=>> getting jumpstarted.
=>>
=>> I'm running Core 3 with httpd-2.0.52-3.1.
=>>
=>> I am capable of running a simple php script. See it at
=>> http://steveo.syslang.net/phpinfo.php
=>>
=>> After I installed Wordpress, I tried to go run the install script but it
=>> seems that some parts of the script are executing and other parts aren't.
=>
=>It looks like you're accessing the files directly. Don't do this. You
=>need to run them through Apache: So you need to visit
=>http://localhost/wordpress/ rather than the files, otherwise the PHP is
=>not processed.
=>
=>It looks like you might not have set up a host for your Wordpress stuff
=>yet, and you don't have it under what is recognizable as an htdocs dir
=>to me: you will need to move /wordpress/ to somewhere that is web
=>accessible.
=>
=>What you are seeing is an HTML rendering of a PHP script: If you look at
=>the source, you will see the exact same source as you would of the PHP
=>script.
=>

Sorry for the delay but I'm crazy running flat out.

Ok. I set up a virtual domain called localhost and set a symlink

ln -s /usr/share/wordpress .

to the DocumentRoot for that virtual domain.

I can log into mysql from the commandline using the account and password
that I set in the /etc/wordpress/wp-config.php

Then I browsed http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php

and all I get back is:

WordPress
Cant select database

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username
and password is okay) but not able to select the wordpress database.

    * Are you sure it exists?
    * On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your
username, so it would be like username_wordpress. Could that be the
problem?

If you continue to have connection problems you should contact your host.
If all else fails you may find help at the WordPress Support Forums.

Is there something obvious I'm not doing?

steveo at syslang.net