I find this *really* annoying

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Apr 7 17:45:01 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 05:04:43PM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I just read your message and all the other replys that sprang forth.
>
> I am running a sendmail server off my cablemodem as well. Anytime I get a
> message delivery failure because of reason of coming from a dynamic
> address pool, I just add them to my mailertable and rebuild. Here's my
> mailertable:

[SNIP disappointingly long mailertable entries]

Sure, you can do that, and I'm sure Paul knows you can do that...  But
the point is, many of us run our own mail server specifically because
we don't want our e-mail going through our ISP's servers, for whatever
reason.  So every time you have to add a mailer table entry such as
these, you lose.

> The other thing that you should be aware of is that there are *lots* of
> rbls in this great big wide world. Some rbls are used to say that someone
> is a spammer, but not all.

This is true, but it's largely irrelevant.  Knowing what a particular
black hole list does, and/or why it does that, doesn't do anything to
erase the frustration of being unable to send mail to a site without
resorting to means which are undesirable.  The mail is being blocked,
and that fact is completely out of your control.

-=-=-=-=-