I find this *really* annoying

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Apr 7 17:05:01 EDT 2005

On Thursday, Apr 7th 2005 at 14:04 -0400, quoth Paul Lussier:

=>
=>
=>http://spamblock.outblaze.com/, which is apparently in use by whatever
=>mail server Ben S. is behind, is referring to http://www.us.sorbs.net/
=>in order to list IP addresses to block e-mail from.
=>
=>Sorbs (http://www.us.sorbs.net/) states:
=>
=>    Dynamic IP users, please note, SORBS is not identifying you as a
=>    spammer. SORBS is identifying you as a Dynamic IP address user,
=>    nothing more nothing less.
=>
=>
=><rant level="HIGHLY FSCKING ANNOYED">
=>
=>Well, that's just peachy, fscking keen!  So, though I'm *NOT* a
=>spammer, am not even *SUSPECTED* of being a spammer, and am not
=>necessarilly even thought to have been cracked to provide a haven for
=>a spammer, I'm being discriminated against because my IP address falls
=>into some range marked as "dynamic" and therefore, could, someday,
=>possibly be used by a spammer!
=>
=>Why is SORBS a good thing?  Oh, right, because though I've had the
=>same IP address for over a year, I *might* not have it tomorrow, and
=>preventing the majority of well-intentioned folks from legitimately
=>sending mail from one MX to another will drastically cut down on the
=>amount of spam being sent, since this reduces the number of IP
=>addresses a malicious spammer could use.
=>
=>Boy, am I glad there are smart people out there looking out for me!
=>
=></rant>

I just read your message and all the other replys that sprang forth.

I am running a sendmail server off my cablemodem as well. Anytime I get a
message delivery failure because of reason of coming from a dynamic
address pool, I just add them to my mailertable and rebuild. Here's my
mailertable:

[root at saturn mail]# cat mailertable
2die4.com       esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
abinitio.com    esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
adelphia.net    esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
apacheweek.com  esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
arbella.com     esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
bigfoot.com     esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
brandeis.edu    esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
cnc.com         esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
comcast.net     esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
compuware.com   esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
connectedsw.com esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
cybercom.net    esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
earthlink.net   esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
engineering.uiowa.edu   esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
iecc.com        esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
iisc.com        esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
juno.com        esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
jxenakis.com    esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
leesix.com      esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
lists.redhat.com esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
mail.com        esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
mindspring.com  esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
netzero.com     esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
nstaronline.com esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
pbl.com         esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
plymouth01701.org esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
polbox.com      esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
raptah.com      esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
redhat.com      esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
rr.com          esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
sch.ci.lexington.ma.us esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
scientist.com   esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
sonusnet.com    esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
sprynet.com     esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
sudburyvalleytrustees.org       esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
tiac.net        esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
uiowa.edu       esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
uoregon.edu     esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
vgi.com         esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
rcn.com         esmtp:smtp.mail.rcn.net
[root at saturn mail]#

The other thing that you should be aware of is that there are *lots* of
rbls in this great big wide world. Some rbls are used to say that someone
is a spammer, but not all. SORBS is simply saying that you are coming from
a synamic address pool. I use RBLs to block things on a country by country
basis. That's how I block all mail from China and Brazil. I don't claim
that everyone from those countries is a spammer, but I have decided that I
do not to get any mail from anyone in those countries.

The problem can develop when someone sees that an RBL is rejecting lots of
stuff and soesn't even look to see what the basis is for the creation of a
particular RBL.

steveo at syslang.net