I find this *really* annoying

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Sun Apr 10 21:12:00 EDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Derek Martin wrote:
> do it by checking that the machine in question isn't registered in DNS as a
> bonifide e-mail server for the sender domain.

   The problem with that stance is that for many MX operators, it blocks too
much wanted mail.  Most domains don't have SPF or anything like it.  A huge
number of MXes don't even have proper reverse-DNS entries.

> But DON'T do it by blocking everyone in the known world who wants to run
> their own legitimate, non-spam-generating mail service on a
> reasonably-priced home connection.  That's just wrong, and totally
> unnecessary, and only partially effective.

   The problem with that stance is that for many MX operators, it causes
comparatively few false positives, while successfully blocking a lot of
unwanted mail.

   I'm not defending or condemning either stance; just pointing out why neither
one flies in the real world today.

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>