sendmail SMARTHOST

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Thu Apr 14 08:47:01 EDT 2005

> legitimate email

And it appears that email from *root* is not considered legitimate by some
ISPs.  That was part of my SMARTHOST problem.  My ISP apparrently redirects
email from *root* to /dev/null.  When I emailed from a non-root account, the
email was delivered.

I commented out the SMARTHOST line and then sent email to four different mail
servers I have accounts on and only two accepted the email from *root*.  One
bounced it with _access denied_ and the other made it disappear.

Larry