[Slight OT] - CD Lables

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sun Apr 24 12:59:00 EDT 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 15:44, Randy Edwards wrote:

>    Being ignorant about DVDs, I'm curious: what is Taiyo Yuden and why?

It's a manufacturer of CD/DVD recordables.  They're in Japan and they
use the highest quality materials.  Different vendors use different
dyes in the recordable layer and some are just more expensive to make
than others.  Labor in Japan is also more expensive than Taiwan or
Malaysa, plus they're known for their quality so they charge more.
They also have an ISO 9000 certified process which some buyers require,
all adding a few cents to the price.

Their discs test the best (lowest error rates) last the longest in
exposure tests, and are often resold for medical/ library archival work
by other companies.

You can often find them directly online from various CD-specialty
vendors in bulk spindle packs so you can often get a price like you'd
find from Staples, et.al. in smaller quantity but still get the
quality.  If you're in a bind and you have to buy from, say, Best Buy,
look for 'Made in Japan' on the label and there's a very good chance
you'll be buying Taiyo Yudens.  I believe there are tools that will
read the non-writable part of the disc and tell you who the
manufacturer is if you want to do some experimentation, but the
rebranders change vendors without notice so it's hard to get any
consistency that way.

I used to buy the best price I could get from Staples, where they'd
wind up owing me $3 for a spindle of a hundred discs after rebate.  The
value quickly evaporated when the media layer started to delaminate
from several of the discs.  At the time I was working in a job where I
was writing software for a robot that automated a CD burning process,
about 300 a day, and IIRC it was a Plextor engineer who clued me in to
Taiyo Yuden.

At the moment I'm not seeing injket-printable DVD-R on their corporate
website but it also appears out of date.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html