[OT] Re: Computer fatalities

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 08:58:01 EDT 2005

Randy Edwards <redwards at golgotha.net> writes:

>  > Rememeber, on tee-vee, nothing is more important than ratings.
>
>    Try telling that to Phil Donahue, who had the highest rated show on MSNBC
> just before MSNBC abruptly cancelled his show because it feared the show
> wouldn't go along with the Bush administration's pro-war line.

Err, I highly doubt that was the reason.  MSNBC is not overly friendly
to the Bush administration.  Had it been FOX, I might believe that reason
(to a point) but even with them I'd still be skeptical.

>    It's not unusual for the media to have higher concerns than ratings.

Actually, I think it's highly unusual.  But in the end, the *only*
thing that matters to them is money.  And if it's going to hurt the
bottom line, they'll fix it so it doesn't.  So, while ratings may not
suffer, if something is going to have a negative impact elsewhere that
hurts their overal profit, or future potential profit, they'll fix it
so it doesn't.

So, I'm sure there was some other motivation for canning Donahue which
was somehow related to preserving profit.

--

Seeya,
Paul