DNS Question

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 13:50:01 EDT 2005

Cole Tuininga <colet at code-energy.com> writes:

> I thought it was as simple as changing the A records for ns[12] to
> the new IPs and wait for it to propagate.  I did this several days
> ago (TTL, etc is set for a mere 3 hours for the domain) and it still
> doesn't seem to have propagated out.  For one thing, most systems
> still show the old IP:

It is that easy, as long as you've also notified your registrar that
the IPs of your DNS servers have changed.  This is usually as simple
as going to a web page, logging into your account, and making the
appropriate changes.

The Registrar is essentially who everyone else in the world asks when
they need to know who's responsible for your domain.  The Registrar
tells them the IP of your DNS servers, since, if they handed out the
hostname, there would be no way to ever resolve the IP addresses of
your DNS servers.

--

Seeya,
Paul