system excercising/burn-in tests?

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Wed Aug 17 23:37:01 EDT 2005

On Aug 17 at 11:46am, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Does anyone here have any experience with creating system burn-in
> suites?

   No, but I play one on TV...

   I've use memtest86 to exercise RAM, system bus, and, to a lesser extent, the
CPU.  For hard disks, I use "badblocks -v -s -w".  For CD drives, I use the
media check feature of Red Hat/Fedora.  None of these are scientific,
parallel, or easily scriptable.  But they're readily available.  :)

>  Our vendor does a very rudimentary burn ...

   I take it you're buying whitebox systems, then?  Check with the component
manufacturers.  They will often include various tools.  I know Intel includes
a rather nice test suite with their motherboards.  Some other mobo makes
include something, too.  Some HD OEMs provide bootable utilities to do tests.
You get the idea.

   FWIW.  FYI.  YMMV.  HTH.  HAND.

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>