fedora 4 update problem with kernel

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Aug 19 22:26:00 EDT 2005

On Aug 19, 2005, at 19:46, Lee A. Newcomb wrote:

>    Your system is currently running kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4,
>    but the newest installed kernel is kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4.
> Anyone know a way to get Fedora to redo the updates without
> having to go through the full install again?  Maybe just emptying
> out /var/spool/up2date and restarting the updates?

I use yum rather than up2date, and I heard somebody say that up2date is
a front-end to yum these days, and I also know that you can usually mix
and match both without problems since they both respect the rpm
database, so with that said:

   rpm -e kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4
   yum -y install kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4

Ought to do it.

I suppose you should be able to substitute

   up2date -i kernel-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4

for yum, but I haven't used up2date on fc4 so I can speak with
certainty.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606