Ink jet refill kit experiences?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Aug 31 22:13:00 EDT 2005

Years ago, I bought an HP OfficeJet d145 and network interface, but
we use it very little. because of that, the ink cartridges and print
heads often have dried out, and I need to run a half-dozen attempts
at cleaning print heads and realigning to get the highest quality
output. The printer has paid for itself several times over, so I'm
willing to risk its loss to save some money refilling it.

HP has mastered the Gillette "give away the razor" technique, and
extract $40 or more for a pair of cartridges filled with water based
ink and a chip that expires the cartridge after two years. I'm clever
enough to work around the expiration racket, but I don't have any
direct experience with refilling. Has anyone done this? Recommended
vendors pro or con? Words of wisdom? One friend on another board
suggested trying this outside on a day with little wind and clothes
you don't mind staining for the first couple of attempts.