Ink jet refill kit experiences?

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Wed Aug 31 22:39:00 EDT 2005

Ted Roche wrote:

> but I don't have any  direct experience with refilling. Has anyone
> done this? Recommended  vendors pro or con? Words of wisdom? One
> friend on another board  suggested trying this outside on a day with
> little wind and clothes  you don't mind staining for the first couple
> of attempts.

I tried this about 3-4 years ago with a RadioShark mobile printer...

At the time, the process involved using a little manual drill to poke a
hole in the cartridge, then squeezing the ink inside and plugging the hole.

The ink did spill and stain.  That was expected in the filling.

What was not expected is that the ink quality of the refill absolutely
sucked.  It smudged, took forever to dry, and couldn't print in high
resolution.  It also only lasted about 20-40% as long as an original
cartridge.  Then I needed to refill it again.

I eventually gave up.

I now use a low-end HP printer and splurge for the ink cartridges (at
$20 and $30 a pop).

(Unfortuneately, I think a power surge fried the printer a couple weeks
ago.  Haven't taken time to look at it since.)

I don't know how much in refill technology has changed.  I haven't
really bothered to look.  I print little enough that it isn't a major
concern.

HTH,

Brian