MAC addresses, hostnames, and DHCP

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Dec 1 11:54:00 EST 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 09:38, Travis Roy wrote:

> But why have the same IP on two different MACs? or even the same
> hostname?

So you can unplug from Ethernet and go Wireless and not loose your SSH
connections (for one).

I've been thinking about this too but haven't convinced my DHCP server
(WRT54G) to do it yet (it rejects one->many IP->MAC entries).  So I've
just been bringing up and down the interfaces manually (OK, scripted)
which isn't ideal.  But a 'go-wireless' script isn't torture either.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833