Automating DNS/DHCP [ was Re: MAC addresses, hostnames, and DHCP ]

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Dec 8 08:57:01 EST 2005

On 12/4/05, Fred <puissante at lrc.puissante.com> wrote:

> Some nice thing is that it has an option to automatically update the
> serial
> numbers on changed zones so you don't have to track that if you don't want
> to. And you can create multiple A records to point to the same IP address
> for simple load balancing approaches like you would with Bind.
>
> But the best thing I like about it is that you don't have to restart
> anything
> when you make zone changes or additions -- the changes and additions
> become
> available immediately. So by using a few scripts interfacing to the
> database, you could implement more elaborate load-balancing schemes.

djbdns doesn't have to be restarted either.  And no serial numbers.  Just
update the text file and it's updated.  It's very different from BIND but
has been used as a root server.  No zone transfers (use ssh/rsync).  djb has
very different ideas about DNS.  It's worth looking at just for that.  He
also did qmail.

--
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad
measures.