Debian Log Rotation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sun Dec 18 10:03:01 EST 2005

I use Debian for a web and mail server, hosted in a colocation facility.
I'm running Debian Sarge, and have set up virtual domains using the
tutorial at http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-sarge/ . Everything
works pretty nicely.

However, I'm now trying to run lire to get log analysis, and my mail
logs are currently rotated daily. I can't figure out where this is
done.

It seems to be happening by some call to `savelog` somewhere. However,
I've looked through my /etc/cron.daily/, and can't find anything
regarding it there. There is a sysklogd entry, which rotates all files
in `syslogd-listfiles` -- but that does *not* list /var/log/mail.log
(only /var/log/syslog).

I can find why it would be rotated weekly (/etc/cron.weekly/sysklogd
entry runs syslogd-listfiles --weekly, which does include the mail log).

There is nothing in /etc/logrotate.d/ regarding postfix.

/etc/logrotate.conf specifies weekly as the default.

Can anyone tell me why my mail logs are being rotated daily?

(#debian couldn't. http://crschmidt.net/tmp/debian.log)

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer