Debian Log Rotation

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sun Dec 18 12:16:00 EST 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:55:48AM -0500, Tom Faska wrote:
> Good question, I didn't know at first but googled and found this:
>
> If you look in /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd you'll find where it runs those
> rotates... if you add -s "mail.*" to the end of the syslogd-listfiles
> command you *should* find that it will stop messing with things.
>
> So, in summary, change:
>         for LOG in `syslogd-listfiles`
> to:
>         for LOG in `syslogd-listfiles -s "mail.*"`
> in /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd

It isn't being rotated by the sysklogd cron entry, as best I can tell. I
added debug output to the sysklogd file, and ran it - and the mail.log
files weren't output.

I did find out by reading hte source for syslogd-listfiles that it only
shows logs that haven't been rotated in the past 5 hours, but --weekly
is now showing the mail files, so that's not the issue at this point.

Also, there's the fact that most people on Debian tell me that their
mail logs aren't rotated weekly, so presumably it's something odd that
I'm doing somewhere. I'd also settle for a way to determine the parent
process of `savelog`, since it seems that that's the program being used
to rotate the logs (rather than logrotate). Is there a way to spit out
the process tree up through the parent to see where it's being called
from? would that help, since it seems to be being called from some weird
cron entry I can't locate?

(For the record, grep -rn "mail\.log" /etc/ doesn't provide any
interesting entries: just my lire config.)

Any thoughts or advice on how to track it down?

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer