HOWTO? run k3b as root

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Dec 18 15:28:01 EST 2005

Michael ODonnell wrote:

>If you can't diagnose your problems one workaround may be to
>start KDE as a nonprivileged user and then say:
>
>   ssh -X root at localhost
>
>...which should get you authenticated as root and then
>tunnel all your X traffic back to your nonprivileged session,
>which should at least allow you to run the apps in question.

Michael,

Thanks for the tip.  However this only seems to get me into a root
terminal.  It does not seem to invoke X or redirect output.  If I then
try to start X via startx (from the ssh session, I get the message

# startx

_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to http://www.suse.de/feedback.

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Way back in the time of the dinosaurs I had scripts that launched an
application on a remote server and redirected the Xsession to the
computer I was working on.  Does anyone know/remember how to do this?
Maybe that is how I can get things to work.