HOWTO? run k3b as root

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sun Dec 18 16:05:01 EST 2005

My sugestion may not have been clear.  What I have
in mind is that you start a normal KDE session as a
nonprivileged user, with all the usual GUI glop on the
screen that KDE normally presents when you do that.
(It might even make sense to verify that you can start
normal X clients like xclock from an xterm that's
part of that session before proceeding with the rest
of this.)  Then, from that xterm (that's still part
of that nonpriveleged X session) you'd say:

  ssh -X root at localhost

...which should start an SSH client that'll connect
to your local SSH server and arrange for X traffic
from the root session to be tunneled back through
your unprivileged X session to the X server, to which
you have already authenticated yourself.

Make sure your local SSH server hasn't been instructed
to block X traffic, BTW.