Multi-boot, partition label conflict

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Mon Dec 19 09:40:00 EST 2005

I'd like to just double check my thinking on a configuration. Here's the
setup:

An HP Itanium machine comes with RHEL AS 4 factory installed on the
internal SCSI disk.
It also contains a fiber channel controller card for use in connecting
to an existing SAN.
I did a new install of RHEL to the SAN (so that it could boot from the
SAN rather than
the local disk) and upon boot it complains because it is trying to mount
/ and finding that there
are two partitions with that label, one on the SAN and one on the SCSI disk.

The ways around this that I see include:

1. Use something like Partition Magic to hide the SCSI partition.
2. Format the SCSI disk (since it won't be used anyway.)
3. Change the /etc/fstab to mount by device name rather than label.
4. Change the label on at least one disk.

Are there other options that I'm missing? Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan