Multi-boot, partition label conflict

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:18:01 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Dan Coutu <coutu at snowy-owl.com> wrote:
> The ways around this that I see include:
>
> 1. Use something like Partition Magic to hide the SCSI partition.
> 2. Format the SCSI disk (since it won't be used anyway.)
> 3. Change the /etc/fstab to mount by device name rather than label.
> 4. Change the label on at least one disk.
>
> Are there other options that I'm missing?

5. Physically disconnect the SCSI disk from the system (optionally
moving it to another system, selling it, taking it home, using it as a
door prize at a GNHLUG meet, etc., etc.).

  If you're concerned about vendor support and that kind of thing, I'd
guess the best thing to do would be to change the partition label(s)
on your SAN volume(s).  That preserves the ability to boot the
vendor-supplied configuration as a boot option.  (Might be useful for
trouble-shooting the FC interface someday, too.)  By changing the SAN
label(s), you avoid this problem in the future, too.

  I've been setting labels like "ROOT", "HOME", "BIGDISK", etc., on my
partitions since before Red Hat was using them to mount partitions,
and I've kept that habit.  It does avoid this kind of confusion, I've
found.  (Not that I've worked with SANs, but when doing parallel
installs for other reasons.)

-- Ben