Any Opinions on SuSE 10.0 vs other Distros

Bill Mullen moon at lunarhub.com
Thu Dec 22 01:26:01 EST 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:42:57 -0500, Chris Brenton wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 09:39 -0500, Jim Kuzdrall wrote:
> >
> > > Didn't SuSE recently decide to switch to GNOME as the default
> > > desktop (although continuing to package KDE RPMs and such)?
>
> SuSe 10 you can go either way. Can't remember if Gnome or KDE is the
> default selection, but I *thought* it was still KDE. Either way KDE
> installs nicely. My only problem has been with laptops & touchpads.
> The scroll option on by default is a pain. Downloading the Ksynaptics
> RPM and shutting it off solved the problem.
>
> >    I have compiled KDE from source, which may be my only option in
> >    the
> > future.  Who is championing KDE at the moment?
>
> Apparently Linus... ;-)
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html

It's probably worth mentioning that Mandriva (née Mandrake) not only
continues to consider KDE to be their default desktop - while offering
all the other major DEs/WMs such as Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, Icewm,
the *boxes, etc. alongside it - but has also contributed significant
resources to KDE development for years now. I have so far detected no
groundswell of interest on their part in changing this orientation
anytime soon.

If you're planning on compiling KDE from source anyway, Gentoo then
becomes an excellent option; it makes the process a fairly painless one.

--
Bill Mullen
RLU #270075