Hamachi (was: Server Security)

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Thu Dec 22 10:24:01 EST 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 10:08 am, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> I don't know anything about Steve Gibson or what him liking it means,
> but I'm listening to Steve's podcast now (since I got a 60GB iPod as a
> Christmas present from work...) and he is *very* glowing about the
> program.
I've heard Steve Gibson's name several times over the years.  He's a
self-proclaimed Windows security expert mostly.  He takes time to analyze
things very closely and has web pages that he's designed to show you various
potential security problems you can easily repair in Windows and some of the
misinformation out there he tries to clear up.

That said, while his intentions are good and I'm sure his information helps a
lot of people, I get the impression sometimes that he's a bit of a marketing
fiend and probably has a more theoretical background in security rather than
one from experience.  He speaks over the heads of many people, but does it so
smoothly that it's interpreted as "just being that good" - kinda like the .cc
snafu you caught.

My .02 cents... (I'm not worth a full 2 cents - that's intentional.)
-N