Hamachi

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Thu Dec 22 14:02:01 EST 2005

Neil Joseph Schelly wrote:

>  I've heard Steve Gibson's name several times over the years. He's a
>  self-proclaimed Windows security expert mostly. He takes time to
>  analyze things very closely and has web pages that he's designed to
>  show you various potential security problems you can easily repair in
>  Windows and some of the misinformation out there he tries to clear
>  up.
>
>  That said, while his intentions are good and I'm sure his information
>  helps a lot of people, I get the impression sometimes that he's a bit
>  of a marketing fiend and probably has a more theoretical background
>  in security rather than one from experience. He speaks over the
>  heads of many people, but does it so smoothly that it's interpreted
>  as "just being that good" - kinda like the .cc snafu you caught.

Steve's main claim to fame, in my mind, is his program, SpinRite. It
would refresh a hard drive's format and often extend its life considerably.
This was back in the MFM days. I do use some of his little security
patches, such as UnPnP, etc. He is a bit over-the-top sometimes and
I don't think the things he's most concerned about are as critical as he
thinks. I do trust his software (again, mainly from SpinRite). I did
speak to him a couple (or more) years back and found him very helpful.
He seems to do his analysis thoroughly.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951