[OT] Grand Unified Theory of Computer Suckage (fnord)

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Dec 27 19:54:01 EST 2005

Ben Scott wrote:

>  [WARNING: Now entering a low-reality zone]
>
>  I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any work done to develop a
>  Grand Unified Theory of Computer Suckage? It's just that I'm once
>  again noticing that pretty much everything, everywhere, that has
>  anything to do with a computer, sucks. The suckage varies. Sometimes
>  it's like a distant high-frequency sound that you almost, but not
>  quite, can't hear. Sometimes it's like having your entrails ripped
>  out with a rusty pitchfork and ground into the mud by a herd of
>  stampeding llamas with mad cow disease. But it's pretty much always
>  there. I'm wondering if there is a reason for this, or am I just
>  living in the wrong quantum universe?
>
>  -- Ben "Llama herder" Scott

Uh... Having a bad day? LOL :-D

I can feel your pain. Well, actually, if I felt your pain, I'd be in
shock or unconscious or dead.
   <Stampeding diseased llamas... Rusty pitchfork... Ye gods!>

After working for closing on thirty years doing tech support (amongst
other computer stuff), I feel
I can safely say, "yes, it sucks; no, it hasn't really gotten better;
and I doubt it'll greatly improve
any time soon." Which is why I'm still working on tech support after
thirty years... with no end in sight.
Not that it's done me any harm. (I wonder why my business partner laughs
so hard when I say that.)

I do believe it does have something to do with the ineluctable nature of
the universe, as Finagle's Law states:
"The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum." The corollary
of Hanlon's Razor does accerbate that
native perversity. As Frank Zappa observed, "There is more stupidity
than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a
longer shelf life." Combine perversity and stupidity and what do you get?

Have a nice day, Ben. (Or, at least, a better one.) ;-)

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951