Firefox goodies

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 12:25:01 EST 2005

Hi all,

  Time for a random "You may find it useful to know..." post.

  I use Firefox.  (BTW -- Firefox 1.5 rocks.  Faster and more stable,
I've found.)  I like Firefox a lot.  I've recently come across a few
things in Firefox that just really made my day.  I figured I'd share.
  I encourage others to join in and post their favorite Firefox gems.

  First, type "about:config" into the location bar to access all the
possible knobs in Firefox.  Many of these are not exposed elsewhere in
the UI.  I set the following:

// BLINK was always evil
browser.blink_allowed = false

// disable auto-www/com-ification
// "Guessing usually makes things worse"
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled = false

/ don't let web pages take over my browser
// "It's my fscking computer; get your grubby JavaScript off it"
dom.disable_window_move_resize = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.directories  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.location  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.personalbar  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.titlebar  = true
dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar  = true

// don't search from URL bar
// also keeps misplaced middle-click from sending me Ghod knows where
// "It's bad enough that I can't type worth a damn; don't turn my typos into
//  random web pages on top of that"
user_pref("keyword.enabled", false);

  Finally, I recently discovered the "DisableBackspaceNavigation"
extension.  For those of you who have ever lost a lot of form input
due to a mis-focused [Backspace] keystroke, this will be like a breath
of fresh air.

  Hope this helps somebody!

-- Ben