Firefox goodies

Christopher Chisholm christopher.chisholm at syamsoftware.com
Thu Dec 29 12:50:00 EST 2005

My favorite thing about firefox is actually a plugin for firefox called
'adblock'.  It's probably the most amazing invention mankind has ever
known.  It allows you to right-click on any graphic and block it from
being displayed.  In addition, it allows you to block flash videos and
other mediums usually used by advertisements.  When you choose to block
an item, a dialog box pops up with its URL(I?).  You can click okay and
block just that graphic, or you can use a wildcard (*) to block part of
a whole address or an entire domain.

For example, if you chose to adblock a banner for those stupid small
security cameras, the url might be
"http://www.adserver.net/images/annoyingcameras.gif".  you could block
just that one, or type "http://www.adserver.net*" to block EVERYTHING
from adserver.net.  After a while of doing this you start to notice a
lot less ads floating around the net.  On top of that, there's nothing
quite as satisfying as banishing an ad from your browser forever.

-chris