rental servers?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Feb 4 23:02:01 EST 2005

Here's a strange question - has anyone heard of a service that provides
short-term server rentals?

This is for benchmarking an application on a machine for a client who's
not interested in purchasing a dual-xeon with two gigs of RAM and phat
SCSI disks just for benchmarking, but would be interested in renting
one for a few days to see how their application performs on it.

It's also different from a colo/rental which is usually monthly plus
some minimum term.  One could unethically take advantage of a
money-back-guarantee on such a thing but I'm not looking for that kind
of solution.

In theory this could be a profitable business but I haven't seen
anything like it - if the rental fee was like $25 a day one could
double his money on each server each year, not counting the year-end
eBay.

Of course if anyone here has such a thing that's sitting on a shelf and
would prefer to make some dollars on it for a week that's totally
doable.

-Bill
-----
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle