CentraLUG meeting summary

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Feb 7 22:00:01 EST 2005

Earlier this evening was the CentraLUG meeting at NHTI in Concord.
Approximately 15 people showed up, many of whom also attended the Python
meeting beforehand. I had my laptop open, and took some notes on
discussions and the presentation, which was on how to set up a CUPS
server.

The original copy of the notes I took via IRC was transferred via a bot
written in Python to a web interface, also written in Python[0]. These
notes are available noets/66 [1], a summary of which I will attempt to
condense here:

The meeting was mostly discussing CUPS. There were a number of things
which were discussed, most of which were basic setup: how to uncomment
the lines that will let your cups daemon start. Additionally, some
discussion was had over the way that clients versus servers work, what
you need to run in order to use CUPS, and where print "drivers" come
from. (Drivers in the CUPS world are slightly different: they are
actually filters which change from postscript format to a
printer-specific format for printing.) Of note are the foomatic,
gimp-print, and hpijs packages, which typically allow you to access all
the settings of the printer once you install them. (Basic CUPS has
relatively limited driver support in comparison.)

The CUPS client daemon by default runs a web interface on localhost,
port 631. From here you can login using HTTP authentication: the default
is to allow access as the root system user and password, after which you
can configure and admin printers. There are a number of relatively
complex server-side settings, however, most of these are not needed for
the simple case of printing. (When it works, It Just Works(tm), when it
doesn't, give up. ;))

IPP is the protocol that CUPS uses: broadcast messages are sent out over
the local network advertising the printers, which the CUPS client will
listen for, and add the printers. This works under both the *nix and
Apple platforms. For Windows clients, configuration is through Samba:
simply turn on Samba sharing of printers, and you should be able to add
a network printer via the typical windows interfaces.

There was some discussion of the various levels of authentication, and
how to set it up so that a different user than root can admin the web
interface, however, no clear resolution was reached.

Bill then demonstrated a program called xpp[2], which allows for GUI
configuration of a number of settings like you would typically find in
the Windows or Mac print settings window: paper size, quality, etc. If
you require more than simple printing options, this may be the best bet
for you, especially if you want to regularly change quality settings or
something of the like.

After this, a user brought in a Laserjet printer with a parrellel port
to ethernet dongle: this device was set up to print from CUPS via the
web interface, and clients were able to print a test page to it without
any problems.

The discussion then evolved into discussion of converting from Microsoft
formats such as Word Docs or Excel to a more usable format. For Word
documents, antiword[3] was mentioned, which does a pretty decent job of
taking MS Word and spitting out plain text, with some formatting
maintained. For converting Excel spreadsheets, there is xlhtml[4], which
will spit out some HTML given an excel spreadsheet. It appears to no
longer be under development, but it is at least a starting place for
those of you who may need to deal with such a format.

Thanks to our presenter (whose name I didn't catch), for NHTI for
hosting us, and for all those who showed up, I enjoyed it and hope to
see you all at the next one.

[0] http://crschmidt.net/noets/0
[1] http://crschmidt.net/noets/66
[2] http://cups.sourceforge.net/xpp/