Debian flamewar

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Thu Feb 17 11:22:01 EST 2005

>>>Historically, IIRC, just downloading an ISO was not easy to do.
>>>If it is now, that's a welcome change.  But I still don't want to
>>>spend 4 hours downloading a bunch of software that's 3 years
>>>old...
>>
>>How was it hard?  You follow the links, visit the mirrors, and download it.
>

> I believe that's wrong.  In the Bad Old Days, Debian didn't provide
> ISO images.  You had to download all the files from the repositories,
> download some scripts, and make them yourself.  Perhaps a long-time
> debian user here can confirm that this is correct?  I'm talking maybe
> 1999 or 2000, but my memory's really unclear on this.

This is true, then they had some weird "ISO maker" thing that you had to
use rather then just downloading the entire disc set. Some places had
them (linuxiso.org for one) but you couldn't get just raw ISO's from
debian.org.

The few times that I've tried and used Debian I would just get the
minimal install ISO and install the rest with dpkg or apt.

>>Essentially, there are three points here:
>>
>>Stability: Both Woody/stable and Sarge/testing have stability at this point.
>>Testing doesn't always have stability, I'll admit, but right now, Sarge does.
>

> This point is useless, unless you're only going to administer your
> systems righ now.  It doesn't work that way in real life.  And how can
> you guarantee me that the next updates to sarge won't break it?
> Regardless of what you say about testing being stable, my experience
> prevents me from trusting it in production.

Exactly, that's why you have a separate testing and stable, because one
is for TESTING, and the other is STABLE :) That's the whole point.

>>Cutting edge stuff: Woody is outdated and I've already accepted that.  For
>>servers, this generally isn't an issue,
>

> It's only not an issue if you're willing to settle for sotware that
> isn't as powerful as you could be using.  And sometimes, even then, it
> can be an issue.  The bottom line is Debian's cycle is just too damn
> slow to be useful in production.  That doesn't make it bad, it just
> makes other distros better choices IMO.

Bottom line is, if you want to use it in a production environment,
you're going to want to use stable. If for anything else so the PHB
won't bitch about using something labeled as "testing". He doesn't want
to take that risk, and neither do I. We are even slowly moving to RHEL
where I work now for the stability and support because we've had issues
with our RH9 and Fedora boxes.