Debian flamewar (was: OpenOffice doc...)

Bob Bell bbell at macroped.com
Thu Feb 17 13:34:01 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:59:42AM -0500, Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
> No, I'm not.  If my server has a new mass storage controller that
> isn't recognized by the 2.4 kernel, but is recognized by the 2.6
> controller, then debian stable won't install on it, but other more
> curent distros will.  I'm not saying that such hardware exists right
> now, today, but it could, or it could tomorrow, and this kind of
> situation has existed in the past.

AFAIK, SATA was only recently added to the mainstream 2.4 kernel
(2.4.27, IIRC).  I'm not sure if Debian used a back-ported patch prior
to that event or if it didn't support SATA.  Also AFAIK, ACHI SATA
support is in 2.6 but not 2.4 ATM.  There may be some SATA controller
chipsets support in 2.6 but not 2.4.

Just a data point.

    -- Bob