Debian flamewar (was: OpenOffice doc...)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Feb 17 18:27:00 EST 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 10:59, Derek Martin wrote:

> If my server has a new mass storage controller that
> isn't recognized by the 2.4 kernel, but is recognized by the 2.6
> controller, then debian stable won't install on it, but other more
> curent distros will.  I'm not saying that such hardware exists right
> now, today, but it could, or it could tomorrow, and this kind of
> situation has existed in the past.

It does exist, in a matter of speaking.  I've been putting in Apple
XServe RAID arrays on linux machines and they have 2 fiber channel
ports going to two fiber channel arrays (in a single chassis).  I
stripe them together using LVM and LVM support for a 3.5TB array (or
any other big array) only exists (or is only easy/feasible) in a 2.6
kernel.

I slap FC2 on and don't look back.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle