Speaking of SATA... and now USB

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Tue Feb 22 11:28:59 EST 2005

Thanks, all, for the wealth of info on SATA.

It seems the situation is mixed, but definitely doable.

But then, that is always the case for Linux Bleeding Edge stuff. ;-)

I am definitely going to have to get into writing drivers again sometime
soon. There is just too much cool stuff out there to not use on Linux.

BTW, if anyone knows of any good USB snooping tools, I'd love to hear
about them. I want to reverse-engineer this cool digital recorder that
uses a proprietary storage format -- I think I spoke of it earlier, the
Panasonic RR-US360 -- that I want to use on Linux. I suppose I could
probably see if I can get CrossTalk or some such to run the Windows
front-end to this beast, but I have a feeling that's not going to work.
If I can get that to work, that'll at least ease the USB snooping tasks
I'll have to do. Other than that, it seems I would have to do some sort
of tap on the USB connection between it and the Windows machine.

Any suggestions? This digital recorder is becoming more and more an
integral part of my daily cogitations... And I hate having to fire up
Windoze all the time just to preserve my thoughts. 8-) I am itching to
do a driver for this beast. And it's about time I gave something back to
Open Source anyway.

-Fred